- Green Tech
Areas of Expertise
- Environmental Science and Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Renewable Energy
- Green Technology
- Sustainable Architecture
- Solar Energy
What will be your most valuable contribution to your TechWomen mentorship?
I believe that as an "outsider" I will offer a different and fresh perspective and creative ideas to the company. I love learning about new innovations and systems of running companies and organizations. I will also contribute to fostering cross-cultural understanding and empathy by communicating openly about different cultures, traditions and work environments. I am willing to navigate cultural nuances and promote inclusive practices within my host company. I also consider myself an optimist and I will contribute significantly to creating a positive atmosphere at my host company.
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- How technology can be useful in urban sustainability.
- How to engage with investors for urban infrastructure.
- How to influence policy for green urban infrastructure.
- Have exposure to the company culture
- Participate in a skills-building course, either provided by my mentor’s company or identify a free resource online
- Identify workshops or certificate programs to further my learning after the program has ended
- Identify a short-term project I can work on at the partnering company
- Gets me involved in day-to-day activities of the mentor and partnering company.
Ideal Company Type
I aim to gain a comprehensive understanding of the latest trends, practices and technologies in sustainable urban infrastructure. I aspire to broaden my knowledge and stay updated on emerging concepts and innovations in this field. I desire guidance on how to translate theoretical knowledge into practical solutions and get exposure into real-world projects through learning from experienced professionals. I hope to build a strong professional network within the sustainable urban development and technology sectors, fostering meaningful connections and potential collaborative opportunities for future projects. Through this mentorship program, I aim to enhance my leadership abilities, critical thinking skills and problem-solving capabilities.
What are three adjectives that best describe you in the work place?
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
The mentorship will provide opportunities for me to gain exposure to a broader range of contacts and establish valuable connections within my field in the United States. This expanded network can open doors to new opportunities, partnerships and collaborations. I will benefit from my mentor's wealth of knowledge and experience in the U.S. industry. My mentor will provide valuable insights into industry trends, best practices and emerging technologies allowing me to stay ahead of the curve and make informed decisions in my career. I will also get guidance and support in developing professional skills, such as leadership, communication and networking.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
By connecting with a global network of women in similar fields, I know I can discover adaptable answers that can significantly improve the quality of life for my community. I aim to leverage my experiences and network to raise awareness about sustainable infrastructure solutions. I want to empower my fellow civil and urban engineers to embrace green technology in energy, housing, transportation, and green spaces. Additionally, I will utilize the TechWomen brand and network to gain access to influential policy-making spaces in my country and region to help more people understand the urgency of climate issues and advocate for the development of necessary infrastructure.
Years of Full-time Work Experience7
Primary Professional Focus
- Civil, water or environmental specialist
- Energy, renewable technology or green technology
- Managing technical employees
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: Chief Sustainability Officer, PowerAfrika Labs
- Direct Reports:
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Harare, Zimbabwe
- Dates: June 1, 2019 –
Supervising design team; lead consultation and research meetings; designing sustainable urban spaces.
Creative and critical thinking; interpersonal communication within teams and with various stakeholders; writing reports and articles.
- Institution: University of Leeds
- Degree Awarded: Master's
- Major: Sustainable Cities
- Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
- Completion Date: December 1, 2020
- Institution: University of Zimbabwe
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Civil Engineering
- Location: Harare, Zimbabwe
- Completion Date: June 1, 2016