TechWomen Professional Mentors
- Inspire emerging women leaders to become change agents in their communities;
- Build relationships with professional women across the world;
- Gain a cross-cultural perspective on your work;
- Join a dynamic, supportive network of more than 300 Bay Area TechWomen mentor alumnae; and
- Give back and share your experiences with others.
What is a Professional Mentor?
A Professional Mentor is a TechWomen volunteer who works closely with an Emerging Leader to help her grow and thrive professionally. Each mentor facilitates experiences that expose the Emerging Leader to an extensive professional network and inspire her with respect to the energetic, innovative, risk-taking culture embodied by Silicon Valley. A Professional Mentor also supports the Emerging Leader to plan and implement a mentorship project based on her learning goals and the unique network and environment of the mentor’s company.
Emerging Leaders will be in the San Francisco Bay Area from September – October 2018.
What will a Professional Mentor do?
A Professional Mentor:
- Enhances the Emerging Leader’s learning by facilitating time and contact with colleagues, subject matter experts, and others in the mentor’s company and professional network.
- Spends an average of one hour per workday with the Emerging Leader, providing professional guidance and supporting the implementation of her mentorship project. Past Emerging Leaders have noted that having extensive time with their Professional Mentors was critical to a successful mentorship experience. Successful mentors have been approachable and accessible and willing to dedicate time to supporting their Emerging Leader.
- With the Emerging Leader, develops a project for the Emerging Leader to work on over the course of the mentorship. This project should:
- Be designed collaboratively by the mentor and Emerging Leader, keeping in mind the professional goals and objectives of the Emerging Leader and the mentorship timeframe;
- Foster networking within the mentor’s company and facilitate exposure to a vast network of professionals;
- Be planned prior to the Emerging Leader’s arrival in the San Francisco Bay Area in September; and
- Culminate in a final presentation at the host company.
Professional Mentors are also invited to attend a program introduction webinar in August, a mentor networking event in September, and several exciting kickoff events with Emerging Leaders during the first week of the program.
What support does TechWomen provide for professional mentorships?
Emerging Leaders will receive support from TechWomen for visa sponsorship, background checks, health benefits, and additional program-related costs, including airfare, housing in San Francisco or Mountain View, and meals. Mentors and/or their companies are not responsible for arranging or providing the aforementioned items. If a company public transit pass or company shuttle are not provided, Emerging Leaders will also receive a public transit stipend.
Be part of the TechWomen community!
Former TechWomen mentors have described the experience as invaluable. It is a meaningful opportunity to support emerging women leaders in similar fields and to join a vibrant, supportive, and committed global community of women. Previous mentors have also shared that the mentorship opportunity is a mutually beneficial experience: Emerging Leaders bring exciting new perspectives and likewise inspire and support Professional Mentors to grow, lead, and learn!