As a complement to the professional development program, each participant has the opportunity to get to know Cultural Mentors to ease the transition of working and living in a new country and explore the Bay Area or Chicago together.
Cultural Mentors serve as ambassadors and expose participants to local attractions, special events, community service opportunities and cultural experiences.
Examples of past cultural enrichment activities:
- Attending a symphony or opera performance
- Touring art exhibits and museums
- Taking a road trip to Yosemite National Park
- Visiting a local high school
- Cooking dinner together at a Cultural Mentor’s house
Group Cultural Events
TechWomen Cultural Mentors foster relationships and collectively plan activities for Emerging Leaders to explore the Bay Area or Chicago and its rich culture and wealth of activities to enjoy. Each TechWomen Cultural Mentor works within a small activity group to collaboratively plan and facilitate events/activities for Emerging Leaders based on specific areas of interest:
- Outdoors: e.g. hiking, camping, picnics, visits to the beach/Lake Michigan, neighborhood walks
- Professional Enrichment: e.g. networking events, speaker series, panels, young professional meetups
- Arts: e.g. theater, dance and music performances, art galleries, museums
- Culinary Excursions: e.g. Off the Grid, tasting new cuisines, Ghirardelli Square, Chicago deep dish pizza