Areas of Expertise
- Health Sciences and Technology
- Epidemiology of Infection
What will be your most valuable contribution to your TechWomen mentorship?
Living and working in a low-income country facing the everyday challenges of being a female leader and how to overcome them is an experience I want to share with other women. In my area of work, a lot of supportive supervision and mentorship occurs and reaching hard to reach communities and the experiences had been one that can be shared with others.
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- Build self-confidence and public speaking skills.
- How to successfully and professionally run an organization.
- Improving communications with large group and how to lead effectively.
- Have exposure to the company culture
- Visit an office or attend a site-visit
- Focus on leadership skills building
- Focus on technical skills building
- Have exposure to specialized industry techniques
Ideal Company Type
My ideal company is an organization involved in health care delivery services with a focus on diagnostics or water sanitation and hygiene. I would love to be part of a globally operating company where employees have a rich cultural background and work together as team for a common goal. The company should also be flexible towards its employee's great quality values and still motivating employees.
What are three adjectives that best describe you in the work place?
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
The TechWomen experience will be an eye opener for me to see how other like-minded women overcome their challenges and what steps they have taken to improve themselves professionally. Having to be mentored by women who have had life changing experiences will help me enhance my technical and leadership skills thereby making me a better manager/supervisor. The TechWomen program will also open a world of opportunities which I can share with other women in my country who aspire to have a career in STEM fields.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
With the sort of exposure and professional development I hope to have acquired from TechWomen, I would like to become a mentor and role model for young girls and assist with other STEM mentors to develop programs or revive programs already in place where we will be able to show the importance of STEM and encourage girls to go for mainstream science in schools. We would aim to develop these programs out of school activities and science summer camps, targeting girls from the primary school stage, class 5-6, as a good way to start changing the mindset of girls towards the science fields.
Years of Full-time Work Experience11
Primary Professional Focus
- Bio or medical technology
- Managing technical employees
- Technical project and program manager
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: Malaria Diagnostic Technical Advisor, Population Services International
- Direct Reports:
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone
- Dates: July 15, 2019 –
Strengthening national quality assurance structures, systems and programs for laboratory staff to support malaria diagnostic activities; developing and implementing training, continuing education and supervisory programs for laboratory staff to strengthen quality malaria diagnosis; conducting onsite training and supportive supervision augmented with mentorship.
Good interpersonal skills; programmatic report writing; effective feedback skills.
- Institution: University of Sierra Leone
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Biology
- Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone
- Completion Date: December 1, 2010