As the global hub of technology and science innovation, the Bay Area has much to offer our international TechWomen Emerging Leaders. As a key component of the TechWomen experience, Cultural Mentors act as ambassadors, expertly guiding the participants through life in the Bay Area and exposing them to many of the area’s must-do STEM activities.
Below is a list of our favorite Techtivities in San Francisco and Silicon Valley.
- The Tech Museum of Innovation in San Jose. “The Tech” embodies the unique innovative spirit of Silicon Valley and makes science accessible to all, showcasing how technology can change lives. Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Sunday
- NASA Ames Research Center in Moffett Field (Silicon Valley). Experience the wonders of space without the inconvenience of space travel! Ames Research Center provides NASA with advancements in astrobiology, supercomputing, NextGen air transportation and other incredible technological innovations that shouldn’t be missed. Open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesday through Friday; from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday & Sunday
- California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco. Featuring an aquarium, planetarium, natural history museum, rain forest, 40,000 live animals and hundreds of exhibits, this place has everything you’ve ever wondered about, all housed beneath a living roof. Open from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday; from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday
- Computer History Museum in Mountain View. This museum celebrates the 2,000 year old history of computing through multi-media demonstrations and captivating exhibits. While you’re there, don’t pass up the opportunity to play a nostalgic game of Pong. Open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday through Sunday
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in Berkeley. This national multidisciplinary lab conducts unclassified research, employs nearly 1,000 staff scientists, and is associated with 13 Nobel Prizes. Berkeley Lab researchers are addressing national and global challenges and advancing the scope of human knowledge through an array of scientific programs, partnerships and proposals. Monthly tours are offered starting at 10 a.m.on one Friday per month
- The Exploratorium in San Francisco. This learning laboratory is a place where children and adults can delve into physics, chemistry, biology and more, through hands-on exhibits and experiences. Open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday through Sunday
Interested in becoming a Cultural Mentor for a woman leader from Africa or the Middle East? Apply to be a 2013 TechWomen Cultural Mentor!