The deadline to submit an Emerging Leader application for the 2014 TechWomen program is in two weeks. Below, see the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the application.
HOW DO I APPLY?
To apply, complete the 2014 TechWomen Application and submit it electronically by 23:59 Cairo time, Monday, February 10, 2014. Before you begin the application, we strongly encourage you to review the 2014 eligibility requirements and selection process at https://www.techwomen.org/participants/eligibility-and-application. Also check out the answers to our most Frequently Asked Questions from prospective participants at https://www.techwomen.org/faq/participants.
AM I ELIGIBLE?
Please see the 2014 TechWomen eligibility criteria below (also available on our website):
- Be women with a minimum of two years full-time professional experience in the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and math) and/or a career requiring significant expertise/knowledge/application of technology
- Have, at minimum, a bachelor’s degree/four year university degree or equivalent
- Be proficient in written and spoken English
- Demonstrate a willingness to participate in exchange programs, welcome opportunities for mentoring and new partnership development, and exhibit confidence and maturity
- Be citizens or permanent residents of Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, the Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tunisia, Yemen, or Zimbabwe at the time of application, and while participating in the program
- Not have applied for an immigrant visa to the United States, or participated in a visa lottery in the past five years
- Be able to obtain a U.S. visa
- Not hold U.S. Citizenship or be a U.S. legal permanent resident
If you believe that the TechWomen program is in line with your professional goals and you fit all of the eligibility criteria listed above, we strongly encourage you to apply by completing the 2014 TechWomen Application and submitting it electronically by 23:59 Cairo time, Monday, February 10, 2014.
WHICH TRACK SHOULD I SELECT?
Each applicant must select a track during the application process. This track becomes the basis for the professional programming that the Emerging Leader will participate in throughout her time in the San Francisco Bay Area. Please choose the track that best fits your area of expertise and interest. The following tracks are offered for the 2014 TechWomen program:
- Green Technology
For more information regarding the TechWomen professional tracks, please click here.
I AM EXPERIENCING A TECHNICAL ISSUE
Most technical problems occur because of outdated web browsers. We ask that you update your browser and try again. Your application will not be penalized if you are unable to submit due to technical issues.
You can find the latest versions of the following web browsers at the links provided below:
- Mozilla Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org
- Google Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
- Internet Explorer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/download-ie
HOW CAN I MAKE MY APPLICATION STRONGER?
Make sure your essays clearly and thoughtfully answer the questions provided. Take the time to think through your essays and write meaningful responses. Write integrative and comprehensive essays that clearly answer all of the questions asked. When you finish writing your essays, take a break. Then, go back, read each question, and see if your essay provides a sufficient response. You should have friends, colleagues, or professors read your essays. Listen closely to their suggestions! Additionally, pay close attention to the selection criteria below, and highlight these attributes in your essay responses.
Preference will be given to applicants who
- Have demonstrated themselves as emerging leaders in their chosen professional track
- Have limited or no prior experience in the United States
- Have a record of voluntary or public service in their communities
- Have demonstrated entrepreneurialism and commitment to innovation
We hope this post answers some of your most burning questions. Good luck! And don’t forget to submit your application by 23:59 Cairo time, Monday, February 10!