Curious about the TechWomen program and wondering if you should apply? The TechWomen Emerging Leaders from South Africa are organizing a Tweetchat on Thursday, January 16! The Tweetchat will be a great opportunity for potential applicants to hear about the program, from the Emerging Leaders and Mentors themselves. We encourage all to join!
Please see below for details (provided by the 2013 South African Emerging Leaders) regarding the Tweetchat.
TechWomen brings emerging women leaders in STEM from Africa and the Middle East together with their professional counterparts in the United States for a mentorship and exchange program. TechWomen provides participants access to networks, resources, and knowledge to empower them to reach their full potential. During the five-week program, participants
- Engage in project-based mentorships at leading companies in the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley
- Participate in professional development workshops and networking events.
- Travel to Washington, DC for targeted meetings and special events.
WHEN IS THE TWEETCHAT?
- Thursday, January 16, 2014
- PST: 08:00 – 09:00
- SAST, EET: 18:00 – 19:00
- CET, WAT: 17:00 – 18:00
WHAT IS A TWEETCHAT?
A tweetchat is a group of people with similar interests getting together and discussing a specific topic…like a conference. Instead of traveling to a conference center, the discussion takes place at your computer using Twitter at a pre-arranged time.
A Twitter hashtag is used so interested people can follow the conversation by following only the tweets that contain the specified hashtag. In this case, the official Twitter hashtag to follow is #TW2014Chat.
A series of questions will be asked to guide the discussion and participants will then chime in with opinions and answers. Of course, all the responses have to be under 140 characters! Follow @TechWomen to stay in the loop!
WHO WILL BE PARTICIPATING?
Anyone with an interest in TechWomen2014, Mentors, TechWomen Alumni can join us! It doesn’t matter where you’re from, where you work, what position you’re in, #TW2014Chat is for everyone who is passionate about improving the participation of women in STEM
WHAT TOPICS WILL BE DISCUSSED?
We’ll be bringing together various groups of people for collaboration, and the discussion points will include:
- What is the TechWomen program?
- TechWomen 2014 applicants can ask questions related to the program
- Interested in applying? Why you should apply?
- Hear what TechWomen Alumnae and Mentors have to say about the program
- The importance of mentorship
I’M INTERESTED. HOW DO I PARTICIPATE?
- Make sure you have a Twitter account by signing up or signing in at www.twitter.com.
- Follow @TechWomen
- Open (and bookmark) www.tweetchat.com/room/tw2014chat, click “Sign In,” and authorize the app to access to your Twitter account.
- Tweet to let all your friends know about the tweet chat too! Make sure to use the #TW2014Chat hashtag!
- Make sure you add the date and time to your calendar so you don’t forget to join us on January 16!
Thank you to Salina Siu, Creative marketer & social media entrepreneur based in Canada for assisting us with the content.