- Green Tech
Areas of Expertise
- Engineering, Civil
- Engineering and Science, Materials and Industrial
- Structural design and construction using local materials and experimental methods to reduce the carbon footprint of buildings
- Exploration of new materials that can be used in construction with a focus on recycling or upcycling
- Incorporation of new technology into construction, ensuring that Africa's construction industry takes advantage of the fourth industrial revolution
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- See or learn about initiatives to promote green construction practices, including but not limited to material innovation and construction supervision practices.
- Meet innovators in design, construction, material research and software design to see how these can work together in promoting green building.
- Learn how to make and maintain the right connections to develop business ideas especially in the early stages of development.
Ideal Company Type
I am hoping to join a company that promotes innovation, preferably related to design, research or construction. I would like to be mentored in a company that has a culture that encourages its workers to think broadly and interact with each other in multidisciplinary teams and is an exciting and fast-paced organization that encourages problem solving and allows even junior staff to feel empowered in their decision-making. I would like the company to have a large pool of collaborators from different fields to gain knowledge on what external factors feed into successful companies.
Additional Technical Skills
REVIT; ROBOT; Rhino; Autodesk Fusion; Adobe suite; SPSS
What are three adjectives that best describe you in the work place?
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
My hope is that the mentorship I receive develops me holistically. I foresee a long relationship with TechWomen and hope that I will gain experience in my field not just as an engineer but also as a leader. The mentorship I receive will help grow my skills as a team-builder and advocate for young professionals. It will allow me to continue my journey towards creating an equitable work environment for women and minority groups, when I begin my own research and design practice in Kenya within the next five years.
What will be your most valuable contribution to your TechWomen host company?
I believe I have a unique perspective due to my multicultural work experiences. I have worked on projects across East Africa and bring with me an interesting blend of the traditional and the modern. I enjoy discovery and testing out ideas, and this would be of benefit to my host company as I would be open to working with them on something new or re-imagining something that exists. I have a strong interest in research and enjoy getting to understand the context within which I am working, which keeps my work relevant and interesting to my target audience.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
The contacts I will make and experience I will receive from the program will allow me to take the next step in the work I have been doing to promote women in STEM. I believe that I am heading towards job creation for young professionals. My goal is to create a work environment that is not constrained by the current sexism and ageism most engineering firms in Kenya face. I want to build an organization that promotes equity and allows everyone to feel valued and safe with zero tolerance on sexual harassment.
Years of Full-time Work Experience4
Primary Professional Focus
- Design or CAD
- Scientist and researcher
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: Engineer, Mass Design Group
- Direct Reports:
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Kigali, Rwanda
- Dates: September 1, 2016 –
Structural design for concrete, steel and earth structures; structural detailing and drawing; material research; cost comparison of structural options; supervise construction which includes carrying out inspections of works on site; reporting; serve as client liaison; lead technical meetings; coordinate with the contractor to ensure all works comply with drawings; manage contracts; monitor health and safety of workers; evaluate of impact of existing projects
- Title and Company: Assistant Engineer, GIBB Africa Ltd
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Dates: January 12, 2014 – January 9, 2016
Wrote proposals for potential projects; profile and alignment design of rural and urban roads; monitored health and safety on construction projects; prepared contract documents; prepared payment certificates and fee notes for projects; supervised data collection for traffic studies within Nairobi and Mombasa, which involved coordinating a team of up to 50 people collecting traffic data; assisted in analysis and interpretation of data
Highest Level of Education CompletedBachelor's
- Institution: University of Nairobi
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Civil Engineering
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Completion Date: August 1, 2014