Areas of Expertise
- Engineering, Chemical
- Engineering and Science, Environmental
- Educational Technology and E-Learning
- Water and wastewater technologies
- Water quality testing
- Water and wastewater educational tools
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- New technologies in water and wastewater treatment.
- Better ways of influencing and improving policies through public participation to support indigenous innovation of science.
- Empowerment as a woman leader by networking and adopting new entrepreneurial skills.
Ideal Company Type
My ideal company has experience in water treatment technologies and water quality management that will afford me the opportunity to learn new technologies of providing safe and drinkable water. Ideally, the company will promote modern indigenous water treatment methods that are formulated by the people for the people, and also promotes water and sanitation education through the engagement and mentorship of up and coming young scientists. Lastly, my ideal company will also provide me with an opportunity to develop my leadership and entrepreneurship skills.
- Advance Project Management
- Environmental Impact Assessent and Environmental Management (North-West University)
- Integrated Water Resource Management
- Not Applicable
Additional Technical Skills
AutoCAD; Supervisory Control Data and Acquisition (SCADA); Geographical Information System (GIS)
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
The mentorship will give me a platform to learn about sustainable and economical ways to provide water and sanitation to rural areas. Having been immersed in the field of water, I have personally witnessed how social psychology can change people's lives for better and this experience encourages me to interact and improve my skills through mentorship. The experience will help me advance my career, and I will help bring international research knowledge and social psychology achievements and standards to Africa.
What will be your most valuable contribution to your TechWomen host company?
I am a young, positive, proactive, open minded and results-driven woman who possesses excellent interpersonal communication skills. To me, this is an extremely exciting opportunity for knowledge sharing and my host company will have the opportunity to see the challenges we experience in South Africa and support innovate solutions. I will be able to challenge my host company in a positive way to think differently, not just technically but socially as well.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
I will create a solid network with other Emerging Leaders in the TechWomen program. I will elevate the profile of the South African water sector in the global arena and the profile of global water-related activities in South Africa by encouraging young professionals in the country to become involved in the development and improvement of the South African water sector. I will share the knowledge gained during the program and apply it in my work place and in the communities I serve.
Years of Full-time Work Experience6
Primary Professional Focus
- Civil, water or environmental specialist
- Technical project and program manager
- Technical training
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: Water Care Technician, National Department of Public Works
- Direct Reports: 10+
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Nelspruit, South Africa
- Dates: October 15, 2015 –
Monitor operations of water and wastewater treatment works and plant optimization; manage water quality; lead sample analysis and interpretation; supervise staff; implement green and blue drop requirements, analyze plant performance; prepare performance reports; consult with consumers; prepare project scopes; develop training tools.
- Title and Company: Process Controller, Rand Water
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
- Dates: June 1, 2012 – September 30, 2015
Operated and controlled treatment process; kept records of all operations, incidents and special procedures; supervised and provided technical support; took daily samples of plants and conducted analysis; compiled daily, weekly and monthly reports; led plant optimization process including cleaning and maintenance; complied with all relevant SHERQ legislation.
Highest Level of Education CompletedBachelor's
- Institution: University of South Africa
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Development Studies
- Minor: Human Security
- Location: Pretoria, South Africa
- Completion Date: January 1, 2016
- Institution: University of Limpopo
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Community Water and Sanitation Services
- Location: Polokwane, South Africa
- Completion Date: December 1, 2007