- Information Technology
Areas of Expertise
- Engineering, Telecommunications
- Information Systems Management
- Computer Security
- Use and application of telecommunication systems in the renewable energy environment
- Information systems management encompassing the management of all IT and OTsystems where computer and network security, big data management, and management and control of cost, budget, and stakeholder relations are concerned
- Computer and network security specifically in the renewable energy context; i.e. the protection of national grids and smart grids, and the protection of the networks relating to all the companies that connect to national grids
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- Learn how policies, procedures, regulation and related legislation pertaining to telecommunications, cybersecurity, and related computing system frameworks are devised in order to allow organizations and governments to process and interchange data in a secure and technologically acceptable manner.
- Learn strategies and methods of protecting national and/or smart grids, considering the developments of intelligent electronic devices currently being used in the energy and utility sector.
- Build networks with leaders whose experience, objectives and areas of focus are comparable to mine that will propel me towards a focused growth on software and people development, while growing a generation that will help resolve the world's (especially African countries') most pressing issues.
Ideal Company Type
My ideal company is a network technology and cybersecurity driven organization focused on the energy and utilities sector. It possibly works with renewable energy organizations, such as government and related stakeholders. This company engages frequently with governments, municipalities and the private sector in building relationships in order to devise and implement network and cybersecurity technology solutions that work for the energy industry, its customers, and the world at large. It can also operate as a consultant in the protection of computer networks for organizations in the energy sector, and its mission is to reduce cybersecurity risks. It has a culture of diversity and inclusion.
- Electrician (Manufacturing, Engineering, and Related Services Sector Education and Training Authority in South Africa)
- PLC Programming
- SCADA Systems Programming
What are three adjectives that best describe you in the work place?
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
My mentorship will propel me to constitute change in the management of network and cyber-security solutions in the organization that I work for, and further contribute in the network, cyber-security and cyber-defense strategy in my country. I will not only learn the technical concepts of networking and cyber-security, but also the stakeholder engagement concepts in the resolution of network and cyber-security issues in public and private organizations, as well as governments and government agencies.
What will be your most valuable contribution to your TechWomen host company?
I am a focused, thoughtful, insightful and analytical individual whose aim is to contribute to the health of organization, country and government networks. I continue to develop my knowledge and insight on cyber-security and information systems management topics. At this moment, my primary focus is on protecting my organization’s network, but I also understand that there is a role that individuals and organizations alike should play in the protection of national grids, and the future smart grid in the continent and the world. Being a multifaceted individual in the use of network and cybersecurity solutions is what I bring.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
Once I know how to engage different stakeholders in the network, cyber-security and cyber-defense sphere in the world’s largest economy, I will be able to come up with strategies to deploy similar concepts in my country, South Africa. I will do so while paying attention to the needs and requirements of other private and public entities, as well as government departments and government agencies within the country and continent. I will also understand how to interact with multiple organizations and entities in my country and other countries, in the form of exchanging data in a secure and reliable manner.
Years of Full-time Work Experience12
Primary Professional Focus
- Computer operations and/or security
- Energy, renewable technology or green technology
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: Head of Africa: Digital Solutions, Enel Green Power
- Direct Reports: 7
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Johannesburk, South Africa
- Dates: May 2, 2014 –
Lead the growth, operations, and strategy of the Information and Communication Technology (Digital Solutions) department in the organization's African countries, with South Africa, Zambia, Kenya, Ethiopia, and Morocco being the mature countries; assist the Business Development department within Africa; start up new offices in new countries; manage a total staff complement of 10; manage stakeholder (partner/vendor/supplier) relationship in the context of ICT in the organization's Africa countries; manage and control the digital solutions budget within Africa; lead and manage the operation of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Systems, automation systems, telecommunication systems, computing systems and related infrastructure for Africa
- Title and Company: Control Systems, Rio Tinto: Richards Bay Minerals
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Richards Bay, South Africa
- Dates: March 1, 2012 – April 30, 2014
Led switchgear upgrade projects encompassing control systems, networking, electronic communication and automation; managed substation automation equipment responsible for power monitoring, including metering and billing systems; took care of electronic communication between power monitoring equipment, Allen Bradley PLCs, IO Servers and SCADA Systems; created and modified INSQL Historian databases for monitoring, troubleshooting and historical data purposes; configured communication on power monitoring equipment: Micom Protection Relays, ABB Feeder Protection, ABB Motor Protection Relays, Allen Bradley Power Monitors, Elspec Power Quality Analyzers; maintained WAN and LAN databases; created and maintained virtual machines; managed configuration and maintenance of Wonderware and Software Toolbox IO server systems
- Title and Company: Electrical Technician, Hulamin
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
- Dates: January 3, 2005 – February 29, 2012
Involved in major expansion projects to increase the company's throughput (largest project was worth USD 67 million); wrote CAPEX requests for machine upgrades in order to enable more production, improve quality and improve safe operation of machines; sourced and ordered critical spares in order to prevent and minimize machine downtime; programmed Siemens S5, and S7 PLCs, Siemens WinCC SCADA and PCS7 Systems; programmed ABB AC 800M PLC; conducted fault-finding and maintenance on ABB ACS800 and ACV700 Drives; maintained electronic, instrumentation and control systems equipment for machine reliability, including Profibus Encoders and Profibus Pressure Transmitters
Highest Level of Education CompletedMaster's
- Institution: University of Liverpool
- Degree Awarded: Master's
- Major: Information Systems Management
- Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
- Completion Date: October 1, 2019
- Institution: Durban University of Technology
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Electrical Engineering
- Minor: Telecommunication Systems
- Location: Durban, South Africa
- Completion Date: July 1, 2014