Areas of Expertise
- Engineering and Science, Environmental
- Engineering and Science, Pharmaceutical
- Health Sciences and Technology
- Environmental sustainability and policy
- The presence of pharmaceuticals in water (detection, treatment and technology)
- Public health (technology and policies that create better health for all)
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- How to use scientific data to build bridges between communities, societies and nations (science policy/science diplomacy).
- Develop skills in career mentorship where i can train mentors and create a mentorship database.
- Entrepreneurship in higher education.
Ideal Company Type
My ideal company would be a center for policy or diplomacy, a mentorship agency or a place involved in entrepreneurship in higher education.
- Science Diplomacy (African Academy of Sciences and Academy of Science of South Africa)
Additional Technical Skills
I have gained additional skills in entrepreneurship through my participation in advising for the Enactus and Hult prizes, in science diplomacy through the African Academy of Sciences and Academy of Science of South Africa (biosafety and security) and in mentorship through serving as a mentor in various capacities which has developed my skills within my own team. Now, I am an Allan Gray mentor in public engagement and facilitation, where I organized symposiums, conferences and public debates.
What are three adjectives that best describe you in the work place?
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
I am currently on sabbatical until August 2019, but my professional focus is on pharmaceuticals in water and using my scientific research to improve communities. This mentorship experience will help me in my goal of developing programs and policies that support individuals and businesses to make safer choices in products, practices and services. Career-wise, I am at a phase of determining the next five-year plan of my career, and this opportunity will help me to decide what is next.
What will be your most valuable contribution to your TechWomen host company?
I am a good organizer who utilizes the critical skill of time management to plan and manage deadlines. I excel in facilitating collaboration and in using team strengths to take advantage of opportunities.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
I am the first person to receive this opportunity from my province in South Africa. As an active member of the African Science Leadership Programme, South African Young Academy of Science and the Academy of Science of South Africa, I plan to use this platform to share what I have learned with other young women in STEM. I am a mentor to 18-21 year-old girls who are also quite involved in mentoring thousands of other women and girls and am also a mentor for the Allan Gray Foundation. These connections will assist me in leveraging my networks to share what I have learned. With my involvement as a faculty advisor for the Enactus and Hult prizes, I plan to use this opportunity to influence entrepreneurship in higher education, as well.
Years of Full-time Work Experience3
Primary Professional Focus
- Bio or medical technology
- Civil, water or environmental specialist
- Individual contributor leading innovation
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: Senior Lecturer, Rhodes University
- Direct Reports: 5
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Grahamstown, South Africa
- Dates: January 1, 2015 –
Lecturer in courses for students pursing a four-year degree in pharmacy; supervise post-graduates; course coordinator for three courses including Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Research methodology, designing course outlines and coordinating the teaching roaster, external examinations and marks; faculty advisor to two student entrepreneurship societies; facilitate pharmacy department’s community engagement activities within and outside the university as the Enactus and Hult Prize community engagement representative; mentor a student representative senate committee member
Highest Level of Education CompletedPh.D
- Institution: Rhodes University
- Degree Awarded: Ph.D
- Major: Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Location: Grahamstown, South Africa
- Completion Date: December 1, 2015
- Institution: University of Fort Hare
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Microbiology and Biochemistry
- Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa
- Completion Date: December 1, 2008