- Green Tech
Areas of Expertise
- Renewable Energy
- Engineering, Mechanical
- Engineering, Energy Resources
- Solar energy
- Energy storage technologies
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- Learn how to innovate clean technology from ideation to market, develop the technologies to the globally acceptable standards and track environmental and social impact that these technologies create.
- Craft a pathway for my career transition from a technical engineer to a strategic leader and a policy maker involved in developing policies that govern what and how clean technologies are delivered in Africa.
- Meet women leaders who have built successful careers in the engineering and energy space but also managed to strike a balance between their professional and personal life.
Ideal Company Type
An energy-based company whose work ranges from energy management activities for industries, households and institutions. Ideally the company or organization is involved in developing clean technologies for use in off-grid communities, both rural and urban. These technologies can be energy auditing and management tools (hardware or software) or renewable energy technologies that can be adopted by low-income communities in Africa or Asia or any place on earth. It would also excite me to work with a mentor who has women has other women in their executive leadership teams. I hope that the company places emphasis on youth development. I'm happy being matched with a start-up or a more developed company.
- Certfied Energy Manager (CEM®)
Additional Technical Skills
Energy Auditing Skills- From facility assessment; conducting energy audits, chairing stakeholder meetings with energy committees; recommending energy management opportunities; drafting energy management strategies and plans; implementing energy management plans.
What are three adjectives that best describe you in the work place?
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
I believe that I will get exposed to a broader mindset that will expand my understanding and vision to deliver even greater and ambitious goals. I run a local NGO and a local company in Kenya, I believe that after this mentorship I will expand to other African countries with confidence and success. I look forward to the new business opportunities that likely will come forward as a result of this program experience. I hope to improve and advance my energy management and efficiency strategies and products. And return more able to diversify our revenue streams by unlocking existing and unforeseen business opportunities and creating new partnerships to expand my work.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
I want to impact more lives, especially women. I want to pass on the mentorship learnings to other women: working or running their own ventures in Kenya. My newfound and advanced leadership skills will improve the work that I do in my organizations, which will in turn touch the lives of more Kenyans. I will partner with other fellows to replicate their proven models in Kenya, especially renewable energy business models. Travelling makes one a better storyteller; a chance to visit the US for the first time will definitely open my perspective especially when telling women to dream bigger.
Years of Full-time Work Experience5
Primary Professional Focus
- Energy, renewable technology or green technology
- Overseeing the delivery of technology products
- Technical product design
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: CEO, Drop Access
- Direct Reports: 6
- Type: Part-time
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Dates: January 1, 2018 –
Establish professional relationships with key contacts within the solar, wind and renewable energy markets; identify, secure and develop utility-scale renewable energy projects and providing general consulting services around distributed energy solutions; develop and execute strategies for competitive off take of renewable energy projects, ensure the execution of customer account plans for targeted customers; support the bidding processes for renewable project contracts including performing pricing analysis, coordinate bidder correspondence, design and orchestrate bidder negotiations and implement contracting efforts.
- Title and Company: Energy and Technical Manager, Mulatya Memorial Hospital
- Type: Full-time
- Dates: January 1, 2017 – January 1, 2018
Managed all engineering and maintenance duties of the hospital; led the technical quality assurance team; implemented the safe care technical healthcare standards; implemented the energy management plans; designed and managed the construction of the hospital's new and modern kitchen.
- Title and Company: Project Manager, Starehe Girls School and Centre
- Type: Part-time
- Location: Kiambu,
- Dates: January 1, 2016 – January 1, 2017
Co-founded the Cool Green Campaign; managed and launched the Starehe Energy Project; managed grant funding from Zayed Sustainability Prize; designed a 25kw embedded carport solar system; designed and managed the installation of a customized solar water heater; implemented the Starehe Energy Management Plan; mentored Starehe Girls students on STEM.
Highest Level of Education CompletedBachelor's
- Institution: University of Nairobi
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Location: Kenya
- Completion Date: August 1, 2014