Areas of Expertise
- Data Mining
- Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning
- Data Mining & Analytics - Product Analytics
- Data Mining & Analytics - Data Visualisation
- Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning - Deep Learning
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- I want to learn how to use big data to better understand users and build products that they love.
- I want to apply machine learning methodologies in the development of products or study of users.
- I want to get better at data visualisation and data storytelling.
Ideal Company Type
I am interested in being exposed to a company that collects, stores and uses massive amounts of data. This data can be used for advanced machine or deep learning algorithms, or for analytics that enables product build and optimisation. I think social media companies, fintechs, ride-sharing start-ups, eCommerce sites or streaming services would be great places to learn about the use of data in revenue generating activities. However, I am less interested in companies that use data purely for ad revenue and more interested in companies that use data to build cool features or better understand users.
What are three adjectives that best describe you in the work place?
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
I have spent my 20s dabbling in data, tech and digital, gathering a plethora of transferable skills and having fun along the way. As I enter my 30s, I am clear about the type of female leader I want to be, the type of work I want to be doing and the type of impact I want to make in South Africa. I know the TechWomen Fellowship will be the catalyst towards an exponential increase in my data skill set, my global network and my ability to turn ideas into action.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
I want to teach girls in my country how to code. South Africa is one of the most unequal countries in the world with high levels of youth unemployment that have only increased since the start of the pandemic. Young women being able to code will give them access to job opportunities all over the world especially since the tech industry is geared towards remote working. In addition, the inherent compassion of the female sex enables the creation of tech that is more inclusive and algorithms that are less biased. The TechWomen Fellowship will empower me to make this happen!
Years of Full-time Work Experience5
Primary Professional Focus
- Overseeing the delivery of technology products
- Technical product manager
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: Product Data Lead, Yoco
- Direct Reports:
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Cape Town, South Africa
- Dates: March 29, 2021 –
Define key product metrics and track KPIs to analyse what really matters; understand user behaviour and identify levers to help move key metrics; build reports and dashboards to ensure data transparency and visibility; influence the roadmap of product teams through presentation of data-based recommendations; act as a sounding board to product managers to help identify opportunities and deal with problems; run and analyse experiments (A/B, split URL & multivariate). VWO, Segment, Mixpanel, Metabase, Periscope, Tableau & Looker
- Title and Company: Head of Digital, Head of Digital
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Pretoria, South Africa
- Dates: March 1, 2019 – September 13, 2019
iX Engineers is a South African engineering design and consulting firm with a focus on Water & Sanitation, Smart Cities, Transport, Energy and Mining infrastructure solutions. As their first Head of Digital, I was responsible for: starting and growing the division; establishing and executing the digital strategy; continuous research and development of products and services that employed virtual reality, drones, the internet of things and big data and analytics; the design and sale of bespoke solutions for old and new clients; hiring and mentoring the first cohort of data science interns and finding the right tech partners to build with.
Highest Level of Education CompletedMaster's
- Institution: University of Warwick
- Degree Awarded: Master's
- Major: Big Data & Digital Futures
- Location: Coventry, United Kingdom
- Completion Date: September 1, 2020
- Institution: University of the Witwatersrand
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Chemical Engineering
- Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
- Completion Date: November 1, 2014