- Information Technology
Areas of Expertise
- Educational Technology and E-Learning
- Renewable Energy
- Education technology games to motivate the learning of sciences
- Conserving the mangrove ecosystem
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- How to effectively use online and offline games to change the learning experience of science students.
- How to start and manage a non profit organization which helps to promote STEM education in girls, conserve the environment through use of clean energy and conservation of Mangrove forest.
- How to come up with a start up and effectively pitch it to potential investors.
Ideal Company Type
It would be my pleasure to be placed in a technology (gaming, animation, etc.) company that focuses on developing education technology, especially games for learning. I am also flexible should I be placed in a school or another company which will give me a hands on experience on the use of the latest educational technology.
- Microsoft Certified Educator
What are three adjectives that best describe you in the work place?
- Social and outgoing
- Team player
- Problem solver
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
Should I be placed in a gaming and animation company, I am looking forward to develop a game to make learning of science easier and fun. As a science teacher, this will be a great achievement as far as my professional development is concerned since I can introduce a new method into my pedagogy that will be fun, innovative and will ultimately improve learning outcomes as my students are exposed to this new technology.
What will be your most valuable contribution to your TechWomen host company?
My 11 years of working as a teacher has enabled me develop great interpersonal, problem solving and communication skills. I am also a team player and a result oriented person. I believe these skills will contribute positively to the daily running of my host company.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
Thanks to the experience I have gained as an Edutech coach since January 2018 and my TechWomen experience that I will gain this year, I will be able to conduct training workshops for my fellow teachers on the use of games in lessons. In addition, the network gained during the mentorship period will be a wonderful platform to not only share experiences and challenges but also come up with projects to implement back in my home country which will promote STEM among girls.
Years of Full-time Work Experience11
Primary Professional Focus
- Educational technology
- Scientist and researcher
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: Head of Science Department and ICT Integration Coordinator, Changamwe Secondary School
- Direct Reports: 10+
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Mombasa, Kenya
- Dates: June 22, 2011 –
Allocate lessons and other duties to the 12 teachers in the science; appraise and conduct lesson observations termly for members of the science department as per the Teacher Performance Appraisal Development Tool (TPAD); identify performance gaps and recommend the appropriate professional development course; conduct research on the latest educational technology and train the members on how it is applied; organize teacher professional development workshops in the use of technology in teaching of sciences
- Title and Company: ICT Integration Coach, I Choose Life
- Type: Part-time
- Location: Mombasa, Kenya
- Dates: January 2, 2018 – May 25, 2019
Identified educational technology training needs of teachers; trained, coached and conducted lesson observation to access the level of effectiveness of ICT integration; assisted teachers to join the Microsoft Educator community and Google for Education training centers for self regulated professional development
Highest Level of Education CompletedMaster's
- Institution: Kenyatta University
- Degree Awarded: Master's
- Major: Analytical Chemistry
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Completion Date: August 1, 2019
- Institution: Maseno University
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Biology and Chemistry
- Minor: Education
- Location: Kisumu, Kenya
- Completion Date: November 1, 2007