Areas of Expertise
- Use of plants as herbal medicines, conservation and distribution
- Production of herbal medicines, particularly topical formulations, from plants
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- Learn more about the formulation of medicines from plants.
- Gain expertise in best practices in patenting and patent issues.
- Learn more about growing a business.
What are three adjectives that best describe you in the work place?
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
Participating in the TechWomen program will help me to understand the phytopharmaceutical industry better. Zimbabwe has many pants that are used by indigenous people as remedies, but the mainstream health system has not utilized these medicines to their full potential. I hope that the TechWomen program will assist me in launching a herbal pharmaceutical company, and help me develop the network necessary to be successful in this endeavor.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
After participating in the TechWomen program, my goal is to register a trust through which I mentor young girls in science. I would like to have a science center in the trust where young girls can see and use scientific equipment and stimulate their interest, particularly in the biological sciences. I would also like to start growing my company, which I just registered (Maruva Botanicals) and employ women in the community. TechWomen will help me be a better mentor to my students and employees, and I can provide research and business mentorship to those interested in phytopharmaceuticals.
Years of Full-time Work Experience9
Primary Professional Focus
- Bio or medical technology
- Educational technology
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: Senior Lecturer, Chinhoyi University of Technology
- Direct Reports: 8
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Chinhoyi, Zimbabwe
- Dates: May 2, 2013 –
Oversee the day-to-day requirements of the Biology department; supervise staff recruitment; transform department curriculum to an industrial oriented curriculum; teach undergraduate students and perform exam duties, i.e. the production of exam questions/papers, exam marking and moderation; conduct research, which enhances the University's reputation; serve as academic advisor to BSc , MSc and PhD students; manage any research grants secured; supervise BSc Honours, MSc and PhD students as appropriate; disseminate knowledge by establishing contacts with the wider academic community participating in seminars and delivering conference presentations; serve as a mentor, especially to undergraduate students.
Highest Level of Education CompletedPh.D
- Institution: Stellenbosch University
- Degree Awarded: Ph.D
- Major: Botany
- Minor: Biological Invasions
- Location: Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Completion Date: December 1, 2013
- Institution: University of Fort Hare
- Degree Awarded: Master's
- Major: Botany
- Minor: Plant Foods and Medicines
- Location: Alice, South Africa
- Completion Date: December 1, 2008
- Institution: Midlands State University
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Biological Sciences
- Minor: Microbiology and Genetics
- Location: Gweru, Zimbabwe
- Completion Date: November 1, 2004