Areas of Expertise
- Engineering and Science, Environmental
- Educational Technology and E-Learning
- Global warming and climate change impact
- Hydrological modeling and water management-related issues
- Water treatment and reuse
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- Coming from an Arab country with limited women leadership culture, I would like to improve my leadership capacities and add more value to my current and previous experiences
- Become more empowered as a woman leader in my community and pass it on to my students as part of their leadership skills enhancement
- Widen both my professional and personal horizons by meeting and exchanging experiences with other women leaders from all over the world and visiting American institutes working on climate change issues
Ideal Company Type
I am interested in companies and/or institutes related to climate change issues. I am very much keen to develop and improve my knowledge on climate change and extreme events analysis and be introduced to different adaptation strategies.
Additional Technical Skills
Integrated approaches to seasonal forecasts and water management in the Mediterranean Basin; seasonal forecasts for agriculture in the Mediterranean; climate change impacts on agricultural systems in Africa; global warming and climate change; physical and chemical wastewater treatments; water desalination.
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
This opportunity will boost my career and professional path in different ways and shapes. It will enhance, for instance, my networking opportunities with other participants from the same field, as well as with the host company, for potential future collaborations. My mentorship experience could later on efficiently support my home institute and the field of research in my country.
What will be your most valuable contribution to your TechWomen host company?
My country, Tunisia, is considered as one of the most affected countries by climate change. Given this fact, I strongly believe that this is a key opportunity for me to bring in key findings, facts and new research project ideas that will eventually result in new collaboration and cooperation.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
Since my female colleagues and students cannot attend the same fellowship, I strongly believe that they will indirectly benefit from it, as I will be sharing all the acquired knowledge with them as soon as I go back home. I will also work on spreading the acquired knowledge with other female colleagues from different institutes and on creating together a local Tunisian TechWomen mentorship project.
Years of Full-time Work Experience2
Primary Professional Focus
- Civil, water or environmental specialist
- Educational technology
- Scientist and researcher
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: Assistant Professor, Higher Institute of Water Sciences and Techniques
- Direct Reports:
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Gabes, Tunisia
- Dates: January 4, 2016 –
Teach several courses for undergraduate and post-graduate students; Supervise master's-level students; Conduct research and scientific activities; Participate in solving problems related to water scarcity and desertification; Collaborate with different researchers from different countries; Co-organize conferences; Conduct regular field visits for academic and research support; Collaborate with decision makers and stakeholders; Write and publish scientific articles.
- Title and Company: Post-doctoral Researcher, Italian National Research Council, Institute of Biometeorology
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Florence, Italy
- Dates: May 12, 2014 – November 14, 2014
Worked on a research project aiming to assess climate change impact on olive tree production in the Oum Zessar watershed in southern Tunisia; Participated in seminars and conferences; Wrote scientific articles.
Highest Level of Education CompletedPh.D
- Institution: University of Milan
- Degree Awarded: Ph.D
- Major: Hydrological Modeling
- Minor: Groundwater Recharge
- Location: Milan, Italy
- Completion Date: February 1, 2013
- Institution: Mediterranean Agronomic Institute
- Degree Awarded: Master's
- Major: Land and Water Management
- Minor: Water Productivity and Water Use Efficiency
- Location: Bari, Italy
- Completion Date: October 1, 2009
- Institution: High School of Agronomy
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Agronomic Sciences
- Minor: Hydrology
- Location: El Kef, Tunisia
- Completion Date: July 1, 2006