Areas of Expertise
- Educational Technology and E-Learning
- EdTech/e-Learning for marginalized, low-resourced, low-bandwidth areas
- Open educational technologies and resources
- Blended learning
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- Obtain a practical understanding about the latest e-Learning technologies and critically evaluate how they can be effectively implemented in Southern Africa
- Understand how to develop a financially sustainable EdTech social enterprise that focuses on improving access to quality education for all
- Gain more expertise on latest tools and methods of open source educational technologies and open educational resources that can be implemented in schools that lack access to quality academic resources and e-Learning
Ideal Company Type
My ideal company is a world-leading technology company that effectively utilizes technology to address the challenges of education quality, access to education and the professional development of educators. My ideal company has a holistic approach to the application of EdTech, which views technology as one piece of a larger solution supported by peer coaching, professional development for school leaders and teachers and applied innovations in teaching and learning led by teachers. The ideal organization has a diverse, impact-driven team of developers, teachers, designers, strategists and content developers that believe in the value of education, access and inclusion for all.
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
To be where I am today, I fully acknowledge the value that mentorship in general has had in advancing my career, and the TechWomen mentorship will have a tremendous impact on my career and professional path. The mentorship will open a whole new realm of opportunities for me to learn, grown and gain skills that I can apply to advance the cause of quality education by utilizing technology. I aim to take full advantage of the mentorship, build lasting relationships and create a solid plan of action for my work in education technology in Southern Africa. I want to make my mentors proud.
What will be your most valuable contribution to your TechWomen host company?
I aim to build mentoring relationships within my host company that will translate into practical, actionable and high-impact outcomes during and after the TechWomen program. I am highly motivated and I will bring to my host company an innovative and creative mindset that is founded on the desire to learn, ask questions, contribute actively, network and actively seek knowledge and strategies that will impact my community.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
I will leverage on my TechWomen experience to create the following high impact programs:
1) Teaching with Technology Training: I aim to turn the Teaching with Technology training courses that I have developed into a scalable social enterprise that will see us training 1000 teachers a year.
2) EduInnovation Meetups: I will utilize the meetups to create a network that thinks through ways that technology can positively transform education.
3) Women In STEM Africa Conference: My goal is to create an Annual Women in STEM Conference starting in 2018 aimed at inspiring and connecting 200 women working in technology in Africa.
Years of Full-time Work Experience9
Primary Professional Focus
- Educational technology
- Managing technical employees
- Overseeing the delivery of technology products
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: Co-Founder and Director of Strategy, Ampli5yd
- Direct Reports: 5
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
- Dates: September 7, 2015 –
Oversee day-to-day operations; Manage EdTech consultancy assignments; Develop business plans; Lead and implement a strategic growth plan; Develop and deliver strategies for the organization; Provide project scheduling and resource management; Manage technical teams, including designers and developers; Lead implementation of EdTech and blended learning solutions in schools; Train educators at early childhood and K-12 levels on how to effectively teach with technology; Support selection of learning management systems (LMS) for academic institutions; Identify partnership opportunities in public and private sectors; Manage partner relationships; Structure and negotiate partnerships; Design marketing strategies; Write market-related EdTech articles; Develop training modules.
- Title and Company: General Manager Education, Higher Life Foundation
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
- Dates: June 2, 2013 – August 31, 2013
Provided day-to-day leadership; Managed regional operations; Recruited, developed and evaluated business and strategic plans; Built government relationships; Led research and development of EdTech solutions; Product management; Conducted market, financial and operations research; Presented system/solution/service designs to internal and eternal stakeholders; Oversaw technical team of developers; Provided strategic support for country teams and partner organizations; Developed board presentations; Conducted monitoring and evaluation; Trained educators on EdTech; Oversaw and developed e-Learning content.
Highest Level of Education CompletedMaster's
- Institution: University of London, Royal Holloway
- Degree Awarded: Master's
- Major: Sustainability
- Minor: International Management
- Location: Surrey, United Kingdom
- Completion Date: September 1, 2011
- Institution: Rhodes University
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Human Rights Law
- Minor: Commercial Law
- Location: Grahamstown, South Africa
- Completion Date: November 1, 2005