- Green Tech/Clean Tech
Areas of Expertise
- Geology and Geological Sciences
- Use of solar-powered boreholes for rural areas and deprived urban areas
- Watershed protection to preserve and protect water sources
- Developing rain water harvesting systems
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- Enhance my mentorship skills in STEM
- Improve my skills and ability to develop project proposals, especially related to water
- Improving my management skills to further my career development
Ideal Company Type
My ideal company is a water utility company that supplies water. This company will help me to improve my water utility management knowledge and gain more experience. A company providing urban supply, as well as decentralized water supply systems suitable for rural water supply in developing countries, will be ideal. As the cost of energy for water treatment can be crucial, I want to be a part of a company that looks into options to minimize the treatment and supply of water so that treated water is more affordable.
- Water Utility Management; Ground Water Database Systems
- Not Applicable
Additional Technical Skills
Trainer on Operations Maintenance and Management of Web-Based GIS Groundwater Database Systems
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
The TechWomen mentorship empowers, connects and builds the next generation of women leaders in STEM. My mentorship will give me the opportunity to interact with more experienced and knowledgeable mentors, and it will help me develop and plan activities to propel me towards my professional goals. Having my own mentor will undoubtedly improve my self-confidence, which is critical as I continue to operate in a male-dominated environment. I am confident that my mentorship will help enhance my career progression.
What will be your most valuable contribution to your TechWomen host company?
I aim to share the experiences and challenges we face in our day-to-day activities in my current work. Often, we have to improvise because of lack of resources. I am resourceful and look forward to sharing novel ideas and perspectives to complete projects and solve problems, just like I do at my current work.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
As one of the few female technical staff in the Sierra Leone water company, I aim to become a role model, showcasing the virtues and principles of the organization. I will be playing a leading role in sharing my knowledge with other women in the company. Being a part of STEM Women Sierra Leone, an organization that encourages girls to take science subjects, I will be able to contribute more and enhance programs in the organization that could create a positive impact in my country.
Years of Full-time Work Experience2
Primary Professional Focus
- Civil, water or environmental specialist
- Energy, renewable technology or green technology
- Managing technical employees
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: Hydrogeologist, Sierra Leone Water Company
- Direct Reports: 7
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone
- Dates: December 1, 2014 –
Fulfill company's mission of increasing potable water across the country, especially in rural areas; Monitor geophysics processes; Analyze geophysics reports of boreholes; Support mobilization of the drilling team to sites, supervise the drilling process and monitor the construction of boreholes; Monitor and evaluate pumping tests; Assess water quality test results for ground water treatments; Supervise the installation of solar panels and pumps and installation of distribution of small networks and public standpipes; Prepare project reports; Conduct regular community engagement for beneficiaries.
Highest Level of Education CompletedBachelor's
- Institution: University of Sierra Leone – Fourah Bay College
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Geology
- Minor: Marine
- Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone
- Completion Date: December 1, 2013