Areas of Expertise
- Computer Networks
- Information Systems Management
- Engineering, Software
- Voice Over IP networks such as SIP trunk systems, FreeSWITCH and basic networking
- Database systems, DevOps platforms like Kubernetes, GCP, AWS and Docker
- Scala programming, basic Python and general software architecture of backend and website systems
What will be your most valuable contribution to your TechWomen host company?
As an engineer, I take great pride and satisfaction in problem-solving. As such, I intend to understand the various problems my host company is facing, identify one that I am best positioned to help solve and collaborate with my mentor to provide a pragmatic solution to the problem in order to provide value to the company. Through leveraging my expertise in running innovation programs and informed by design thinking concepts, I believe I can offer a fresh perspective on the use of technical tools or on improving a workflow for engineering teams to bring about higher efficiency.
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- Gain skills in DevOps infrastructure, CI/CD and deployment tools
- To learn on web frameworks and how to deploy web services effectively
- Leadership and project management skills to effectively scale a technical or social impact project
- Visit an office or attend a site-visit
- Focus on technical skills building
- Identify a short-term project I can work on at the partnering company
Ideal Company Type
My ideal company is one that has products utilizing the DevOps stack, automation of product deployments and containerization platforms. The company would ideally place me in a team where I can also learn or observe Product/Project Management teams at work, so that I can better understand how to scale and release useful products to its customers. The team within the company could be one working on a social impact technical project. I can see myself at a large software company with a friendly organizational culture that values its people and their lives, and which focuses on scaling products.
- Amazon Web Services Cloud Practitioner
- Lightbend Akka Cluster
- Foundations of Project Management (Google)
What are three adjectives that best describe you in the work place?
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
My TechWomen mentorship will fast-track my journey to living out my full potential by enabling me to make better contributions in the spaces in which I am involved. It will guide me on how to make wiser decisions when architecting technical products through imparting an understanding of technical products from a large-scale point of view. Furthermore, it will mold me into a better support engineer by improving my skills in troubleshooting technical failures using logging stacks such as ElasticSearch. Moreover, mentorship will position me to mentor my future teams and nurture the problem-solver in them, which aligns with my higher purpose.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
I intend to build a Tinker Space for pre-university students where they can be curious, identify problems around them and receive technical support to provide solutions. Ideally, the space will have laptops, internet, electrical components, robotics kits and maker kits. The aim is to enable kids to learn tech skills in a playful manner, and will focus on children whose schools lack such spaces or computer labs. Envisioned supporters are engineers, educators and content creators who can curate content for the students and simplify it to curriculum cards to be followed in doing projects to completion while learning STEM concepts.
Years of Full-time Work Experience3
Primary Professional Focus
- Computer operations and/or security
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: Support Engineer, GitLab
- Direct Reports:
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Dates: April 4, 2022 –
Support and resolve customer issues by investigating through logs or reproducing errors they face using GitLab and related DevOps platforms connected to GitLab such as Docker and Kubernetes; contribute to code features that potentially solve an issue or improve a service; contribute to documentation of solutions to repetitive issues; collaborate with the Product and Development teams to build new features based on customer suggestions; and improve internal support workflows by contributing changes to make supporting and resolving client issues faster
- Title and Company: Voice Backend Engineer, Africa's Talking
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Dates: September 16, 2019 – April 4, 2022
Maintained Voice API by solving bugs in the codebase using Scala and Akka and improving infrastructure performance on servers; improved voice call quality to clients by restructuring server systems; implemented new voice call features such as call conferencing and Text-to-Speech API using Google TTS; telco integration support for telcos across Africa; onboarded new clients by providing technical guidance around Voice API setup or server-level guidance; provide technical support for existing clients; technical documentation of new voice API features; and collecting feature request feedback from clients or the internal team for backend prioritization and implementation.
- Institution: Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Telecommunications Engineering
- Minor: Information Engineering
- Location: Kenya
- Completion Date: November 1, 2019