Areas of Expertise
- Engineering and Science, Environmental
- Educational Technology and E-Learning
- Sustainability science and its practical modes of application
- Assessing and minimising environmental and social impact of human development, including climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Developing useful teaching curricula and reading material on environmental science and health topics, especially for young children and/ or including lots of color and easy-to-use language
The Top Three Things I Would Like to Learn or Experience During my Mentorship
- Learn more about what sustainability science actually is in practice, and how to implement actions for sustainability in my home country.
- Learn how to create learning material on environmental and sustainability science that will be engaging for learners in various age groups and across different cultures, ideally incorporating using accessible technology and interactive learning interfaces.
- Develop deep-rooted confidence and gain skills that would be useful in achieving my long-term career goals of independent consulting in environmental science and business management, while also interacting in a colorful environment with people from all over the world.
- Management System Development and Auditing (ISO 14001:2015)
- Management Systems Development and Auditing (ISO 9001:2015)
Additional Technical Skills
SAP software; project management; Maxent; EstimateS
What are three adjectives that best describe you in the work place?
What impact will your mentorship have on your career and professional path?
Participating in the TechWomen program will massively boost my credibility as a practitioner of sustainability and environmental science, and give me the confidence to speak out more in my field. My interest in sustainability science was piqued during courses taken in my studies towards an environmental sciences master's degree, and partaking in this experience will elevate my knowledge of the area from superficial to truly grounded. Additionally, being a TechWomen emerging leader will empower me with various soft skills such as networking and creative problem solving, which are indispensable to a future career in consulting and business management.
After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your mentorship experience to make an impact in your home country?
Being a TechWomen emerging leader will likely be the boost I need to finally develop a sustainability course curriculum for the college I work at, which hopefully can be adapted for nationwide use. I love to write and believe I could also use the TechWomen experience and alumni in the creation of a children’s book. In the long-term, I plan to open a culinary training institute, which will provide training and creative experiences for members of my home country and other communities as well. All this will be made possible through relationships built during and after the TechWomen experience.
Years of Full-time Work Experience7
Primary Professional Focus
- Civil, water or environmental specialist
- Educational technology
- Scientist and researcher
Current/Most Recent Job
- Title and Company: Lecturer, Zimbabwe School of Mines
- Direct Reports: 4
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
- Dates: March 1, 2018 –
Teach students and industry professionals using a systematic plan of lectures, demonstrations, discussions, laboratory work, seminars, case studies, field assignments and independent or group projects; develop curricula and preparing teaching materials for courses; prepare, administer and mark tests and papers to evaluate students' progress; advise students on program curricula and career decisions; supervise projects, field placements, laboratory work, and hands-on training; supervise lab technicians; develop action plans for organizational coronavirus preparedness and response; courses taught: Environmental Impact Assessment, Environmental Education, Environmental Management and Protection, Industrial Hygiene, Safety, Health, Environment & Quality Management Systems, Sustainable Mining Practices
- Title and Company: ISO Management Systems Auditor, Standards Association of Zimbabwe
- Type: Full-time
- Location: Harare, Zimbabwe
- Dates: April 1, 2016 – October 20, 2017
Managed forty-one ISO certified companies' management systems portfolios of environmental, occupational safety and health, and quality management systems; audited ISO management systems; determined audit time and calculated audit budgets; prepared audit plans and programs; performed root cause analyses on client non-conformance reports, identifying areas of improvement and reviewing corrective action reports for adequacy; reviewed and processed application forms for potential clients; conducted clients' management system performance assessments periodically
- Title and Company: Assistant Environment, Safety and Health Officer, Kariba South Extension Project - Zimbabwe Power Company
- Type: Part-time
- Location: Kariba, Zimbabwe
- Dates: August 1, 2015 – March 31, 2016
Administered Environmental, Safety, and Health Management System at the Kariba South Extension Project construction site; researched and devised control measures for site mining and construction environmental aspects and occupational hazards; conducted environmental auditing and site inspections; performed induction training of employees and site visitors; compiled monthly environmental, safety and health performance report; facilitated daily environmental toolbox talks
Highest Level of Education CompletedBachelor's
- Institution: University of the Witwatersrand
- Degree Awarded: Master's
- Major: Environmental Science
- Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
- Completion Date: December 31, 2020
- Institution: National University of Science and Technology
- Degree Awarded: Bachelor's
- Major: Environmental Science and Health
- Location: Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
- Completion Date: November 1, 2011